Sunday, February 19, 2012

Blueberry Sandwiches and the Best Coffee Cake!

I came across an interesting breakfast treat on Pinterest the other day...a Blueberry French Toast Sandwich!  The recipe started with frozen french toast and that was not going to work for me.  French toast is so easy, why not start fresh?  I took that basic idea and ran with it...

French Toast Blueberry Sandwiches
When I make French toast, I start by putting a layer of 8 pieces of bread in a pre-heated-then-turned-off oven, right on the rack.  The bread will soak up the egg mixture better when it is a little dry.  (Stale bread gains new purpose with this recipe.)  This time, I had Pepperidge Farm oatmeal bread on hand, but you can use any kind you like.  Excellent results also come from French or any artisan bread - or plain white or wheat. 

Prepare a mixture of 4 eggs (beat them slightly), 1/2 cup milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar in a bowl wide enough for the bread slices to fit.  Some French toast recipes use different proportions, but this is the recipe that comes out of my head...plenty of substance with more eggs, a nice touch of vanilla, and a deliberate dose of sugar.  A challenge, to think of a recipe backwards - writing it down as you make it, instead of going from what you see in print.

Heat a griddle or large buttered skillet, and quickly dip the slightly toasty bread slices into the egg mixture.  Submerge them, but don't linger or they will fall apart.  Move each slice directly from the bowl to the griddle.  Don't dip more than you are preparing for one griddle/skillet batch, or they will become soggy and useless - then you might as well make bread pudding.

Flip when evenly browned. 

You can stop here - and serve your French toast just like this, perhaps cut diagonally and tilted to each side just like a restaurant would do.  A sprinkle of powdered sugar looks nice - and put out the butter and syrup, of course. 



But I didn't stop there.  I crafted a very simple cream cheese spread of 4 oz. cream cheese mixed with 2 Tablespoons of granulated sugar.  Spread this evenly on one slice of toast - and top generously - solidly, in fact - with blueberries and another slice of your still-warm French toast.  This makes enough for 4 sandwiches.
  
This was so yummy, I had two of them.  It's a fun, easy, fruit-filled breakfast sandwich! 
T couldn't bear the thought of French toast without peanut butter and syrup.  His sandwich became delectable fruit-stuffed French toast on a plate - with plenty of toppings!

While we're in breakfast mode, I want to thank my friend Regina for providing not only delicious coffee cake for a recent morning meeting - but also for providing me with memories!  I asked, "is this the one with sour cream??" and she knew just what I was talking about.  I snapped some shots with my trusty phone and told her I'd be posting this one.  My mom used to make this often...and so have I.  It slipped from my thoughts in recent years, however, and I was happy to become re-acquainted.


The Best Coffee Cake (Regina, please correct me in the comments if I have this wrong!)

Cream 1/2 cup butter or margarine with 1 cup sugar.  Add 2 eggs and mix well.  Blend in a mixture of 2 cups flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon baking powder, and 1 teaspoon baking soda.  Mix thoroughly, then gently fold in 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 cup sour cream.

For the filling, combine 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, (1 teaspoon cocoa is an optional addition),  and 1/2 cup chopped nuts.

Spread 1/2 of batter in a greased/floured bundt or tube pan or a  9 x 13 baking pan.  Sprinkle on 1/2 of the filling, then add rest of the batter and remaining filling on top.

Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes (45 for bundt or tube pan).  Cool completely and invert onto serving plate.

Everyone enjoyed it.  Some enjoyed it twice.
 

1 comment:

  1. This looks wonderful! Ann, you are blessed to have 2 Reginas in your life; one who can cook, and me. ~Regina Harrison

    ReplyDelete